Permits, Forms & Applications
Property owners may perform all ordinary repairs and construction work on their property. Ordinary repairs require no building permits from Campbell County and are identified as the following:
- Doors, except those in fire rated assemblies
- Roofing & Exterior Siding
- Repairs to plaster, tile & other wall coverings
- Floor coverings and porch flooring
- Cabinet installations
- Wiring operating at less than 50 volts
- Detached utility sheds 250 sq. ft. or less
NOTE: ALL UTILITY/ STORAGE SHEDS AND CAR PORTS (REGARDLESS OF SIZE) REQUIRE A TOWN OF ALTAVISTA ZONING PERMIT TO ENSURE PROPER SETBACKS ARE MAINTAINED PER THE TOWN’S ZONING ORDINANCE. THE FEE FOR A ZONING PERMIT IS $20.00.
All other building projects require a building permit from Campbell County. Before you may obtain a building permit, you must first obtain a zoning permit from the Town. Applications are available at Town Hall. There is a $20.00 charge for zoning permits. Zoning permits are necessary to ensure the construction conforms to all zoning ordinances. Building permits are issued by the Building Inspections Department in Rustburg. For basic projects, building permit applications may also be filled out at Town Hall; however, the Uniform Statewide Building Code (USBC) requires plans to be filed for certain projects. Projects requiring plans must be handled by the building official directly in Rustburg. In addition, the master tradesmen must sign electrical, plumbing or mechanical applications before permits are issued. These requirements protect the property owners, their family and neighbors from the effects of repairs or additions that violate building and zoning codes and constitute a potential threat to life and property. If there is any doubt about whether or not a zoning or building permit is necessary, please call one of the following numbers:
- For Land Use, Setback Requirements, or other Zoning Assistance in the Town of Altavista, please call the Zoning Administrator at 369-5001.
- For Technical Building Permit Assistance, please call the Campbell County Building Inspections Department at 592-9596.
The Document Center provides easy access to public documents. Click on one of the categories below to see related documents or use the search function.