Left to right: Vice Mayor Reggie Bennett, Vice Chair Marie Mitchell, Commissioner Ashby "A.J." Robinson, Jr., Chairman John Jordan, and Commissioner Meghan Bolling.
The Commission shall consist of a minimum of five members and a maximum of seven members. They shall consist of at least four members and up to six members at large and one member from the town council and shall be appointed by the town council. One member may be a member of the administrative branch of government of the town. They shall be residents of the town qualified by knowledge and experience to make decisions on questions of community growth and development provided, however, that at least one-half of the members so appointed shall be owners of real property. The term of the member from the town council, and from the administrative branch, if there are any, shall be coextensive with the term of office to which he or she has been elected or appointed, unless the town council, at the first regular meeting each year, appoints others to serve as their representatives. Appointments of members shall be for staggered terms of four years each, unless the town council shall desire to establish different terms of office. Vacancies shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired term only. Members may be removed for malfeasance.
The members of the commission, as now constituted or hereafter appointed, may receive a salary to be fixed by the town council by resolution.
Meetings for the Planning Commission:
1st Monday of each month
Town Hall, Council Chambers - 510 7th Street
Watch Live or Recorded Meetings
Officers and Employees: Expenditures, Rules and Records, and Special Surveys
The commission shall elect from the appointed members a chairperson and a vice-chairperson, whose terms shall be for one year. The commission may:
- Create and fill such other offices as it awards necessary
- Appoint such employees and staff as it deems necessary for its work
- Contract with consultants for such services as it requires
The expenditures of the commissions, exclusive of gifts or grants, shall be within the amounts appropriated for such purpose by the town council. The commission shall adopt rules for the transaction of business and shall keep a record of its transactions which shall be a public record. Upon request of the commission, the town council or other public officials may, from time to time, for the purpose of special surveys under the direction of the commission, assign or detail to it any members of the staffs of town administrative departments, or the town council or other public official may direct any such department employee to make for the commission special surveys or studies requested by the commission.
To effectuate Code of Virginia, § § 15.2-2200--15.2-2327, the Planning Commission shall:
- Exercise general supervision of, and make regulations for, the administration of its affairs
- Prescribe rules pertaining to its investigations and hearings
- Supervise its fiscal affairs and responsibilities, under rules and regulations as prescribed by the Town Council
- Keep a complete record of its proceedings; and be responsible for the custody and preservation of its papers and documents
- Make recommendations to the Town Council
- Provide an annual report concerning the operations of the commission and the status of planning within its jurisdiction
- Prepare, publish, and distribute reports, ordinances, and other material relating to its activities
- Prepare and submit an annual budget in the manner prescribed by the Town Council
- Establish advisory committees, if deemed advisable