The sign ordinance was developed by the Planning Commission and the Town Council. A complete set of the rules and regulations is found in the zoning ordinance of the Altavista Town Code. The following is a highlight of the major rules and regulations
- A sign permit is required for every sign to be installed. This includes temporary signs (banners) that may be advertising a specific event. Sign permits may be obtained at Town Hall during normal business hours.
- In most cases, a maximum of 3 signs is permitted for each individual business.
- There are size restrictions for each individual sign, and there are limits to the total square footage (all signs combined) allowed. There is also a height restriction for most signs.
- Specific regulations for permitted signs vary slightly between zoning districts. Most signs are prohibited in areas zoned residential.
- Signs must be on the property being identified or advertised.
- Signs are prohibited along the streets and street right-of-way, and they are prohibited from being placed on utility poles.
- Signs may be wall mounted or may be ground mounted. Portable signs are prohibited.
For a complete copy of the ordinance, to obtain a permit, or to ask further questions, please contact the Zoning Administrator at Town Hall, 434-369-5001.